Thursday, May 9, 2013

Blog 3 Post 3 REVISED

As I was trying to decide on a topic, I had it narrowed down to either World War II or Civil Rights. Initially, I chose to write on the the War, but as I was researching, I found some pretty good sources from the library and online for The Civil Rights Act of 1964, so I am pulling an audible and changing topics!  I chose this topic because as I have come to Greenville, I have really diversified my friend group, especially coming from a town that is even smaller than Greenville.  It is hard for me to think about times where things were so segregated and people couldn't do certain things just because of race.  My new research question is Why was the Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed?  I will explore what pushed Congress and the rest of the country to pass the Act and move America forward.

I do not know a ton about the Civil Rights Act of 1964 in particular, but have read in different places that it was an important part of helping to move past segregation.  I have learned it was a really tough period, especially for minorities and one that our country shouldn't be proud of.  I do not have a good impression of segregation and think that the Act was necessary to move the country forward.  In order to prevent bias though, I will try to imagine myself in that time period and see what other issues were going on at the time.

1 comment: